Welcome to the South Austin Trailer Guide, part of the Austin Food Blogger Alliance's 2015 City Guide! This post is a roundup of food trailers/trucks in South Austin with permanent locations; I am (mostly) focusing on the area bordered to the north/south by Town Lake to William Cannon and east/west by IH-35 to Mopac.
Please remember with trailers, they can move! They might be at a weekend event, and then back in their regular spot during the week. Some are amazing at keeping up with their social media, and kudos to them! Many are weather-dependent, and even personnel dependent, e.g. only one person can run the food line, so if that person is sick or injured, the trailer may not be open. Hours can vary so check their social media or website.
They are all small, local businesses, so please show them your love! Trailers listed by geographical area. Apologizes for those who I have inadvertently overlooked; please add in the comments section below.
Along South Congress (from the river heading south)
- Mrs. P's Electric Cock @1101 S. Congress -- fried chicken
- Burro Cheese Kitchen @ 1221 S.Congress -- grilled cheese sandwiches
- Juice Austin @ 1221 S. Congress -- fresh juice + smoothies
- Fat Cactus @1318 S. Congress -- delicious sweet and savory Navajo fry breads
- Gemma Love Jamaican Cuisine @1318 S. Congress -- Jamaican
- Crepes Mille @1318 S. Congress -- crepes
- SoCo Burgers @ 2400 S. Congress (in the HEB parking lot) -- burgers
- Hoek's Death Metal Pizza @ 3808 S. Congress -- pizza
Along South Lamar
- Luke's Inside Out @ Gibson Bar, 1109 South Lamar -- sandwiches
- Texas Cuban, 1700 South Lamar -- Cuban sandwiches, like the El Cubano
- Brown's BBQ @ Corner Bar, 1901 South Lamar-- barbecue; really loved the chicken thighs
- Taco Baby @ Bluebonnet Flea, 2323 South Lamar -- tacos
- Wasota @ Bluebonnet Flea, 2323 South Lamar -- African cuisine
The Picnic -- 1720 Barton Springs Road
- Chi'Lantro -- Korean/Mexican fusion; just opened a brick and mortar on South Lamar and have a couple of roving trucks
- Hey Cupcake -- cupcakes
- Hey You Gonna Eat -- sandwiches
- Kebabalicious -- Turkish meat wraps; the picture doesn't do this beef and lamb kebab justice; they have other locations too, including brick and mortar on E. 7th
- Mighty Cone -- food in a cone
- Skinny Limits -- juice + smoothies
- Tapas Bravas -- Spanish, tapas
- Turf n Surf -- po'boys
South Austin Social -- 415 Jessie Street
- Beirut Austin -- Middle Eastern foods
- Boca Foods -- Spanish, tapas
- Brunch Haus -- Southern-inspired brunch items
- Unity Vegan -- vegan
Bouldin Creek Food Court -- 1207 S. 1st Street
Torchy's Trailer Park -- 1311 S. 1st Street
- Conscious Cravings -- wraps, salads, smoothies
- Holy Cacao -- cake balls and desserts
- Torchy's -- *damn good tacos*
Next to Elizabeth Street Cafe -- 1503 S. 1st Street
- Dock 'n Roll -- lobster rolls
- Gourdough's -- *big fat donuts*
- Mellizoz Tacos -- tacos
- Shwarma Point -- Middle Eastern
Across from Elizabeth Street Cafe -- 1502 S. 1st Street
- 40 North -- Great Neapolitan-style pizza! This was a special with butternut squash + caramelized onions.
- Regal Ravioli -- They are one of my favorite trailers; here's the roasted beet ravioli with pecan pesto; I also LOVE the sweet potato gnocchi with bolognese sauce.
Next to La Mexicana -- 1906 S. 1st Street
- The Pizza Shop -- pizza
South First Food Court (at Live Oak) -- 603 W. Live Oak
- Bananarchy -- frozen banana desserts (they're seasonal though, roughly March thru November)
- Crepe Up Delicious -- sweet and savory crepes
- Gravy-- biscuits and gravy (almost as good as my own biscuits!)
- Mama Mal's -- Italian
- Snolabs -- shaved snow desserts (also seasonal)
- Tommy Want Wingy -- chicken lollipops (wings) with choice of sauce
- El Primo -- directly across S. 1st @ 2101 South 1st. -- tacos
South First and Oltorf -- 504 W. Oltorf Street
- Cheke's Takos -- tacos
- Pie Plante -- pies; I've only had their coconut cream pie, but it was heaven!
- The Flying Carpet -- Moroccan souk food; the owners have become friends of mine, and their food is delicious and unique. They also have indoor space where you can eat, and it's available as a rental for private events (they've got a great catering menu!). Pictured below is the Moroccan: beef kefta with scrambled egg, and a savory tomato sauce. Don't forget the L'afrique sauce for your wrap or fries!
Along Barton Springs Road
- Nuha's Sinful Sweets -- cookies (by Terry Blacks BBQ @ 1017 Barton Springs)
- Short Bus -- subs/sandwiches (by Austin Energy @ 801 Barton Springs)
- SnoBeach -- snow cones (@ 801)
The Barn -- 6218 Brodie Lane
- Fishey Bizness -- fish and chips (huge portions!) and po'boys
- Hey Cupcake -- cupcakes!
- Nutter Buster BBQ + Comfort Foods -- pulled pork and brisket sandwiches
The Midway Food Park -- 1905 S. Capital of Texas Hwy (360)
- The Celia Jacobs Cheesecake Experience -- cheesecake
- Coolhaus -- ice cream sandwiches
- Dock 'n Roll -- lobster rolls
- Gregorio's -- Italian
- One Taco -- breakfast tacos (not just for breakfast)
- Royal Roots Juices -- fresh juice and organic salads/wraps
- Thai Kitchen Express Food Truck (aka Eat Thai or Die) -- a fairly new Thai trailer; these are Phuket pork buns, which were really nice.
- Widespread Daves -- "the best of what's around"
- Veracruz All Natural @ Radio, 4208 Manchaca -- tacos, tortas, juices